Thursday, December 20, 2012

Tennis Ace Casey Dellacqua Has Tear in Foot

Australian tennis champ Casey Dellacqua will miss the Hopman Cup with a foot injury that threatens her plan to rebuild her career this summer.
Dellacqua was to join Bernard Tomic as the home combination in the mixed teams event in Perth, which would feature No. 1 Novak Djokovic and five-time Wimbledon champion Venus Williams on December 29th.
She was on the verge of returning to the top 100 after missing close to two seasons with feet and shoulder problems when she felt pain in her foot at a recent event in Osaka, where she was a quarter-finalist in the singles and claimed the doubles title with rising star Ashleigh Barty
She suffered a peroneal brevis tear during the tournament and says, "I'm so disappointed to withdraw from Hopman Cup due to a foot injury sustained in Osaka. It's a peroneal brevis tear and, although it's getting better every day, it's not going to be ready in time for Perth and I can't rush my return to competition."
Fellow Perth resident Bojana Bobusic suffered a similar problem for much of this year and won the wildcard playoff for entry into next month's Australian Open.
"I really hope I can try and play in Hobart if I'm ready and if I get a wildcard. I always love playing at the Hopman Cup. The people of Perth always get behind me and it's a great feeling to have so much support. I was also really looking forward to being part of history and playing at the new Perth Arena. Hopefully I have the chance to come back next year," Dellacqua said.
A replacement for Dellacqua has not been announced. Event director Steve Ayles said, "We are so disappointed for Casey that she's had to withdraw from the Hyundai Hopman Cup and wish her all the very best for a speedy recovery. I know how much playing this event means to her and how much she loves playing in front of her home crowd in Perth. Casey is concentrating hard on her rehab and is looking forward to playing again very soon. I'm sure everyone will join the Hopman Cup team in wishing her all the best for her Australian Open preparation."
If you believe have a foot problem and do not currently see a podiatrist, call one of our six locations to make an appointment.
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Podiatrists in CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter.

    Enhanced by Zemanta

    No comments:

    Post a Comment