- Look for flip-flops that have earned the American Podiatric Medical Association's Seal of Acceptance. The seal indicates the APMA considers the shoe to be one that promotes good health. Flop-flops made by Orthaheel are ones that have earned the Seal.
- Your flip-flop should only bend at the ball of the foot, never at the heel. An ideal flip-flop should have arch support built-in to the shoe. Flip-flops that are flat like pancakes provide no support- you might as well be walking around barefoot!
- Purchase flip-flops made of high quality soft leather for the thong and a sturdy, comfortable base. Flip-flops made of plastic materials are going to give you blisters and dry, callused heels.
- Buy flip-flops in the correct size- your heels or toes should never hang off the edge.
- Toss last year's flip-flops if they are showing signs of wear.
- Remember: the average flip-flop, even the most supportive, is truly only meant for short walking distances, the beach, and the pool. So don't plan on wearing flip-flops during your vacation, when you are going to be doing a lot of walking, hiking, or bicycling.
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Podiatrists in CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter.