Thursday, June 27, 2013

What Questions Should I Ask Before Foot Surgery?

If your podiatrist tells you that you need to have foot or ankle surgery, it is very important to ask questions. When you think of questions that are not included here, make sure you write them down and print out this list to bring with you to your visit. It is extremely important to us that all of your questions are answered and your mind is at ease.
Here are some questions you should ask about the surgical procedure:
  1. What is the procedure I will have?
  2. Are there any other options besides surgery?
  3. What benefits does this surgery have, in terms of pain relief and function?
  4. How long will the benefits last?
  5. What risks are associated with this surgery?
  6. Is there any written or video materials I can read or watch about this surgery?
  7. What is the success rate for this surgery?
  8. How is the procedure done?
  9. Will the surgery need to be repeated after a certain amount of time?
  10. How many of these procedures do you do each year?
  11. How many patients improve after this surgery?
  12. What will happen if I don't have this surgery right away?
  13. If I want a second opinion, who should I consult?
  14. Will you do the surgery or will someone else?
  15. If you won't do the surgery, will I meet the other doctor?
  16. Will I need any tests or medical evaluations before the surgery?
  17. What kind of anesthesia will be used?
  18. Will the anesthesiologist know about my allergies?
  19. Will I have pain following the surgery?
  20. What pain relievers will I be given?
What do I need to know after the surgery?
  1. How long will recovery take?
  2. What limitations will I have during recovery?
  3. Will I need assistance at home after surgery?
  4. What will my discharge instructions be?
  5. Will I have any disability following surgery?
  6. Will I need physical therapy?
  7. When can I return to work?
  8. When can I drive my car?

If you believe have a foot problem and do not currently see a podiatrist, call one of our six locations to make an appointment.
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Podiatrists in CT
Visit our website, like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment