Saturday, February 9, 2013

What Are Periungual Warts?

The Human Papilloma Virus has over 100 identified strains, some of which are warts. The HPV causes warts which are named for where they appear on the body and what they look like. People with healthy and strong immune systems aren't prone to warts, but those with a compromised or low immune system do. Most warts are contagious and can be painful. The Periungual wart is one of the warts that is caused by HPV. 
A Periungual wart is an abnormal growth that starts out the size of a pinhead. In the beginning they are
difficult to notice and are so smooth people don't often notice them. As the weeks progress, the wart grows to the size of a pea with rough irregular bumps that start to affect nail growth. In extreme cases the nail will become permanently deformed and fall off. If left untreated, it will move down the nail bed and cause an infection. 
Periungual warts typically form under the fingernails and toenails and are not easily spotted. Untreated warts become painful and the larger they become the more painful they will be. Eventually the nail will elevate and detach from the nail bed completely.
Periungual warts are contracted like any other HPV- through cuts, scrapes, and abrasions, and when people pick or tear at the skin around their nails. They are also contracted by contact with those who have the condition. 
Symptoms of periungual warts include a cauliflower appearance, which spread quickly and in clusters surrounding the nails, or under the nail bed. You will see the small rough bumps, which will become painful when left untreated. 
Treatment of periungual warts may include excision, which may require removal of the toenail. Salicylic acid, or chemical destruction, may be used topically to remove the warts. 
To prevent periungual warts, start with not picking or tearing at the skin around your toenails and the nail itself. This is the leading entrance way for HPV for this disease. If you know someone with periungual warts, you should keep away from skin to skin contact. If you already have periungual warts, do not pick or tear at the skin or nails, as it will make the condition worse. 
If you believe have a foot problem and do not currently see a podiatrist, call one of our six locations to make an appointment.
Connecticut Foot Care Centers
Podiatrists in CT
Visit our website, friend and like our page on Facebook, and follow our tweets on Twitter.

    Enhanced by Zemanta

    1 comment:

    1. I never thought that one day I will get cured of HERPES. I have been
      suffering from this deadly virus HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS" for the past 2
      years. I have spent a lot of money on drugs and going from one hospital to
      another, hospital has been my most visited place where constant check up
      have been my hobby not until one day, i decided to share my situation to a
      very close friend of mine and she was very upset with me for not telling
      her ever since that she is aware of one doctor called Dr. AIGBOJE who helps
      people in curing their GENITAL WARTS, HSV and HPV. quickly i contacted his
      email: draigbojeherbalhome@gmail.com i spoke
      to him, he asked me to do some certain things which i did, he told me that
      he was going to prepare and send me herbal medicine which he did and
      thereafter i received it and after using the herbal cure within 2 weeks and
      few days i was totally cured, i had to go back to the same hospital that I
      have been going before to confirm my cure and behold I was confirmed
      negative by my doctor, so today I am here to spread the good-news of my
      life on how Dr. Aigboje saved me from the nightmare and outbreaks of HERPES
      VIRUS. If you are still suffering from this deadly virus or any other such
      as DIABETES, COLD SORE, HERPES, SICKLE CELL, HEPATITIS etc.. just contact
      this great Africa herbal doctor. I believe you're going to be happy and
      healthy again just as I am right now.
      Email: draigbojeherbalhome@gmail.com WhatsApp: +2348079206119
      You can reach me on my private email : swamseashaw@gmail.com

      ReplyDelete